Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Corvette vs Tesla
















The 79 L82 Corvette received a new dual Magnaflow system a few weeks ago and she sounds great.

Yesterday evening I had to return a Tesla press car, actually very impressed. The best thing in electric cars since my Strombecker slot car track, but I am not here to sing the praises of electric cars.

When dropping off the Tesla I had to park my Corvette on the street in snobby Yorkville. I know the area well as I used to work at Bay and Bloor in a previous life and often took clients to lunch at one of the many expensive restaurants in Yorkville.

The street would invariable be lined with exotic cars, Bentleys, Ferraris and 911s. No different last night, even spotted a Lotus Exige (a close relation to the Tesla). The Corvette looked totally incongruous but cool amongst the euro trash. I am also proud to report that it got more than its share of attention. While I stood with the hood open, to let the engine cool off after a high speed highway run then stuck in a traffic jam on Bay St, I had strangers come and compliment the car or take photos.

Even driving up Bay in heavy traffic pedestrians pointed out the Corvette and seemingly ignored the new Tesla, worth about ten times more than the Corvette.

To be fair if one could time travel back to 1979 the Corvette would be the perfect poser car for Yorkville but age and timeless styling....plus that great sounding exhaust has served to make her the last word in cool....at least for a few minutes last night.

1 comment:

  1. Adrian, the Vette looks very cool. I used 1985 Z-51 factory mufflers for my 79 L-82 four-speed and loved the sound. They fit perfectly underneath and matched my four tailights (I removed the B/U lights). I wired them up to all come on at the same time. It was a neat look. Cheers, Walt

    ReplyDelete